Saturday, February 23, 2008

lemon bars and other nonsense

















We have had a great Saturday so far. Well....we have made it a good Saturday. I woke up in some SERIOUS back pain at 5ish am so E. gave me drugs and I stayed in bed while he went out and started fixing our fence....long story short the wind here is so fierce that it literally blew down a section of the fence before we moved in...and the company that installed it (Pioneer Fence Company, don't buy from them FYI!) will not do anything about it....even come over to give us an estimate...NICE!
So he slaved away in our yard and I slept in a little (ok maybe a lot). Cleaned house and then I went to a fun card class. Pictures to come. We have chilled the rest of the day and are now watching "Across the Universe". I'm loving it! Great movie!
Pics above are of a few of my fave things from this week.

Tea in the super lovely new mugs that Nicole gave us. Love Tim Hortons!
Lemon bars, recipe below, such a great recipe...these turned out yummy yummy yummy and I have also been really into fun packaging for when I give baked goods away. A box made to hold one cupcake held four lemon squares perfectly! These lasted about 30 minutes after I put them out at my office...they are always a hit so go and bake some! Totally delish!


Lemon Bars

Crust:
2 sticks margarine
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 t. salt

Mix (by hand or mixer) till crumbly. Press into bottom of 9X13 baking pan. Bake at 350* for 15-20 min, or barely golden. While baking, prepare FILLING:

4 Eggs
2 cups sugar
4 Tablespoon flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon grated lemon rind
Powdered sugar for sprinkling on top

Beat eggs in mixer till frothy and lemon colored. Add sugar, continue beating. Add remaining ingredients, beat well, and pour over still warm crust. Bake in oven (350*) for another 20 min. Let cool, sift a lot of powdered sugar on top, cut, and EAT!

VERY IMPORTANT!! DO NOT OVER BAKE!!!!!
This is probably the main thing that distinguishes between GREAT lemon bars, and NASTY lemon bars. I check the bars around 15 min, and continue every minute or so. You want to take them out when the middle is still just a *little bit* wiggly. Just a little. If you wait till the middle is set and take them out, they will be dry.

1 comment:

Miss Jaster said...

LOL I have the same mug!

I hope your back is feeling better today!*HUG*